Be ready for unannounced HSE inspections
HSE construction inspectors will be carrying out unannounced visits to sites where refurbishment projects or repair works are underway from the 3rd October 2016 until the 4th November 2016.
As part of the Safer Sites initiative, inspectors will ensure that high-risk activities such as work at height are being properly managed.
Enforcement notices will be issued immediately for any breaches that are found on site and any health and safety breaches with clients and designers will also be followed up to reinforce their duties under CDM 2015 and to ensure that the relevant duty holders are fulfilling their on-site health and safety responsibilities.
Main areas the inspectors will be monitoring include:
- • risks to health from exposure to dust (e.g. silica) are controlled
- • whether workers are aware of where they may come across asbestos, and what to do if they find it
- • that health risks including exposure to noise and vibration, manual handling and hazardous substances are being properly managed
- • that tasks involving working at height have been identified and properly planned to ensure that appropriate precautions, such as proper support of structures, are in place
- • all equipment is installed / assembled correctly, inspected and maintained and used properly
- • sites are well organised, to avoid trips and falls, walkways and stairs are free from obstructions and there are sufficient welfare facilities
If you're carrying out any refurbishment or repair work, using one of our range of Easi-Dec access platforms or roof access equipment can help you to ensure the work is carried out safely and satisfy the requirements of the HSE.
Unlike scaffolding, our access platforms can be installed ready to work in around 10 minute. The platforms are simply constructed on the ground and then quickly raised to the required working height to give you a fully certified, safe and stable platform to work from. Our range of Easi-Dec access platforms includes the original Easi-Dec Platform, Roofline System, and Window-Dec which has been designed specifically for replacing windows.
If you're working on fragile roofs, then our fragile and industrial roof safety range such as Board-Walk will help protect workers, especially when working on roofs with fragile rooflights and skylights.