Tips for safe loading and unloading
Many injuries are caused each year by incorrect loading and off-loading. Whether it is windows, doors or other heavy loads, using the wrong equipment – or no special equipment at all – can lead to loaders and bystanders being injured or products becoming damaged.
However, by following a few simple tips, and using the correct equipment, you can ensure that all loading is carried out in a safe and efficient manner.
According to the Health and Safety Executive, when loading or off-loading, you should always:
- – Ensure the area is clear of other traffic, pedestrians and people not involved in loading or unloading. By minimising those nearby to the task you are minimising the risk of injury.
- – Ensure vans or trucks are parked on firm, even ground. This will maximise stability and reduce the risk of the vehicle moving or tipping.
- – Make sure loads are spread as evenly as possible, during both loading and unloading. Uneven loads can make the vehicle or trailer unstable.
- – Check the vehicle or trailer has its brakes applied and all stabilisers are used. The vehicle should be as stable as possible.
- – Ensure the vehicle is not overloaded. Overloaded vehicles can become unstable, be difficult to steer or less able to brake.
- – Check the floor or deck of the loading area before loading to make sure it is safe. Look out for debris, broken boarding, etc.
- – When loading, make sure everything is secure and safe to unload at the other end. Loads should be suitably packaged and secured, pallets should be tied correctly etc.
- – If more than one company is involved, agree a suitable and safe loading and unloading procedure, and share this with the employees involved.
- – Invest in the correct and most efficient equipment. This could be safety harnesses where necessary, or specialised loading ramps which can be used to properly lift the product onto the vehicle.
To that end, Easi-Dec supplies the Window and Door Loading Ramp, the perfect solution for safely loading and unloading windows from vehicles.
The ramp comes with safety handrails, anti-slip walkways and our Easi-Guide nylon channel system, making loading and off-loading safer and smoother, and helping you to follow the safety advice above.
It can also be used to load and offload many other items beyond windows and doors, with a width of 1372mm, and a length of 4400mm, the ramp is totally adjustable and features a maximum distribution load of 400 kilos.
Our Window and Door Loading Ramp can also be folded away when not in use, making it not just safe and efficient, but also compact and unobtrusive in smaller loading bays and warehouses.
If you would like to find out more about the Loading Ramp, or make an enquiry, you can either call us on 01767 691812 or use our online contact form.